Re: Historic Gravestones

Trina,

What you are proposing to do -- remove gravestones from cemeteries in order
to preserve them -- is probably illegal in New Hampshire.  It is illegal in
Connecticut.  The Ellington, CT Historical Society just had a program
presented by Ruth Shapleigh-Brown from the Connecticut Gravestone Network.
The web site at
http://members.aol.com/ctgravenet/index.htm  explains their preservation
work, and has a link to the Connecticut State Statutes.  However, work is
being done by this network, and, I believe, others across the country to
preserve the historical information from the gravestones.  You might want to
investigate this approach for genealogical research.

Lynn Fahy
Lynn M. Fahy
Technical Services Librarian/Archivist
Health Sciences Library
Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center
114 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105