Historic Gravestones

Hello,

I'm writing an article (for the New Hampshire Old Gravestone Association)
on the ethics of removing historic gravestones from cemeteries in order to
preserve them. When I say remove, I mean to a responsible historical
society or museum. Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but I'd like the
list's opinions on this as gravestones can be considered primary source
documents. And, if you consider a cemetery full of memorials as a
collection of sorts, with family groupings being series in the collection,
it's somewhat akin to an archival collection. Or even a library. Or an
outdoor museum.

I'm struggling with this topic because, ideally, I think these important
historical artifacts should remain in their natural setting. I think it's
fair to say that by removing them you are affecting their original order
and perhaps provenance). But, many stones from the 17th, 18th and 19th
century are, quite literally, falling apart due to acid rain, the elements,
vandalism etc.  Because they are so valuable we need to preserve them.
Gravestones reflect the culture of the era in which they are created.
They're also excellent examples of New England folk art. And, of course, a
great source for genealogical research.

I suppose you could remove the original and replace it with a replica. But
this is an expensive alternative. Not very practical for some of our small
towns in New Hampshire. And, should you want to see the original stone for
any reason, it may not be readily available.

I realize that another important issue is the question of who has the
authority to make the decision of whether the stone should be removed. But,
at this point, I'm trying to focus on whether or not removal is even an
ethical thing to consider.

So, if one has an important historical stone that is obviously
deteriorating, what do you do? Let nature run its course? Or remove the
stone to an *appropriate* repository.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Trina Purcell