Co-education in colleges and universities

Dear Colleagues:

 I am trying to find where my institution stands among other
colleges and universities, especially those in the South, in becoming co-
educational.  When did your institution begin admitting women to attend
classes on an equal basis with men?  When did the first women receive their
college or university degrees along with the men?

 Here at Georgetown College, a Female Seminary was founded in 1845.
The women received a B.S. degree, but the rigor of the curriculum was
considered easier than that required for the men at the college.  The
trustees of the college did not govern the seminary. The seminary was
connected to the college through the college?s professors who both governed
and taught at the school.  In 1885, the trustees authorized the students at
the Female Seminary to attend the higher college classes.  They became
eligible to receive Seminary degrees equivalent to those given to the men
at the college.  It was in 1892 that women started being admitted to
Georgetown College on the same basis as men, and in the next year, women
received Georgetown College degrees along with the men.

 Your all?s help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone is
interested in the results, I will provide a summary of the responses.

Yours sincerely,

Glen Taul, Ph.D.
Archivist
Georgetown College