Co-education in colleges and universities

I want thank all who responded to my query about the beginnings of co-
education in their respective institutions. I received a very limited
number of responses, but I am able to form some preliminary conclusions
about where Georgetown College fits in regard admitting women equally with
men students in college courses and granting degrees. There is an
interesting geographic pattern to all this. When compared to sister
colleges and universities in the South, we appear to be among the leaders
in promoting co-education. From the southern institutions that replied,
most did not become co-educational until the 20th Century. However we
lagged behind institutions in the West and Mid-west, which began co-
education between 1855 and the 1890s. I received so few responses from
northern institutions that it is difficult to tell where we stand. One
institution went co-educational in 1884-87, and the other, 1961.

Thanks again,

Glen Taul
Archivist
Georgetown College