Re: Help needed - promotion(?) opportunity

In a similar vein, I saw something similar on a job notice recently.
In addition managing the library, the successful candidate is
supposed to bring "proven fundraising abilities."  Now, this position
is at a privately funded historical site and not a tax-supported
organization, but I cannot help but wonder if this is still a major
conflict of interest.

It seems tantamount to admitting that the best reference service will
go to the highest bidders (donors).

Opinions?

--- Thomas Berry <tberry@HCEA.NET> wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> For those of you who are unfamiliar with my situation, I am the
> "lone
> arranger" for a non-profit organization.
>
> Our Managing Director has submitted his resignation, and I've been
> approached about taking his place. Our Board meets next Thursday to
> discuss
> the situation, and I'd like to be able to make some sort of
> statement or
> presentation of my position then. My instinct is to go for it, but
> I'm not
> entirely at peace with myself about it or, should I pursue it, how
> to do so.
> I'm primarily concerned about just how much I'm willing to take on,
> the
> impact that having my time and efforts channeled into this new
> position will
> have on our collections, and what the appropriate method of
> expressing my
> interest in the position would be.

=====
"...every modern technology, from television to computers,
was invented by men & women whose education was conducted
almost exclusively with pen, paper, and book."
  --Neil Postman
Cynthia Van Ness, MLS, email: bettybarcode@yahoo.com
Shameless self-promotion: http://cynthia.is-online.net