saving dollars?

Hello everyone -

I think I have a somewhat unusual preservation question...A friend has a
wonderful (and probably unique) baseball autograph collection.  His father
started the collection when my friend was a child and asked the ball
players to sign money - dollars, fives, tens.  Most of the autographs are
between 20 and 30 years old and are signed with all different kinds of
ink.  There is marked evidence of deterioration, principally fading of the
signatures.

The bills have been stored in a "regular" frame with acidic backing and
have been exposed to light for quite some time.  I suggested that my friend
remove the framing and place the bills in acid/lignin free archival storage
materials.  Now my question...what is the best type of material to use?  My
first impulse is to say Mylar in acid free folders, but I'm not sure this
is the best solution.  Is there in fact any way to stop (or postpone for
the longterm) the deterioration? Dollar bills seem like a rather unstable
medium to me.

Thanks, as always, for your assistance!
Melissa Mannon
Archives Consultant