Summary rolled maps and drawings

Hi all,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question
regarding storage boxes for rolled oversized maps and
architectural drawings. A couple of respondents
recommended long rectagular boxes with adjustable
length sleeve boxes inside for misc. smaller lengths
available from Metal Edge as a good solution. Another
respondent wrote that

?I can see a number of problems with rolling
architectural drawings and maps in fabric boxes. You
will protect the drawings from dust but the drawings
and maps will be unsupported except by themselves and
I believe there will be a possibility of the items
being crushed or torn. I think a cheaper and perhaps
better way to go is a system we used following the
directions of a conservation consultant?. We purchased
large tubes, slightly longer than the drawings in our
case, around which we wrapped with a thin layer of
mylar, and then we wrapped from 3 to 15 architectural
drawings around the mylar covered tube, then we
covered the outside with mylar. The inside covering
was 4 mil and the outside covering was 6 mil. The
outside mylar was against the shelf and would get some
wear and tear so it needed to be heavier. The tubes
and mylar are available in archival supply catalogs
and are pretty inexpensive. The whole process was done
by a part-time student in the preservation operation
in a semester. We did about 3,000 architectural
drawings. The architectural drawings are on the
outside of the tubes so they are supported, they are
protected from wear and tear from the tube and from
the outside. The tubes are almost impossible to crush.
The drawings are easy to access.?

Thanks again everyone. I am still unsure as to how I
will proceed, but I think that the issue of supporting
each item is important, so I will keep exploring.

Eric J. Roth
Archivist/Librarian
Huguenot Historical Society
Library and Archives