Graduate Theses

Greetings:

I received the following query from a faculty member but have no experience
with this issue.  What are other university/college archivists
doing?  Thanks for your help, Marcus

I have a question about archival quality printing for MS theses. If a
thesis is text only, clearly a thesis printed on rag paper with a laser
printer is the standard. However, it's becoming more common to include
color, and in biology it's also very common to include photographs. In both
cases, an ink-jet printer output is usually superior to a laser printer
output, at least for those comparisons I've made. Even when the photograph
is in B/W, a 600 dpi laser printer does a poor job of reproducing gray
scale. However, using an inkjet printer opens the question of how long the
image will last before fading.

Are there any accepted standards that either of you are aware of for
printing options that will provide long-term archival images? I glanced
through my files and didn't find the forms NMU uses to specify how theses
should be prepared, but my recollection is that the printing issue isn't
thoroughly addressed. This may be a can of worms that is best left alone.
However, if there are already some ideas out there about what works and
what doesn't, this is something the Graduate Programs Committee might address.

Another option/requirement at some universities is to make the thesis
available electronically - e.g. as a pdf file. Any opinions about this?
_________________________________
Marcus C. Robyns, CA            To be and not do is not to be at all
Assistant Professor / University Archivist
Northern Michigan University                    mrobyns@nmu.edu
1401 Presque Isle                                       (906) 227-1225
Marquette, MI 49855                             (906) 227-1333 (fax)

First they ignore you.
Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then you win.---Gandhi

Visit the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives at:
http://www.nmu.edu/archives/archives.htm