Re: Video crews in the archives - policies

This happens to us all the time.  We have a "research fee" of $15 per half
hour, that was originally conceived as a charge for those folks who want us
to dig into our resources beyond what we can do for free or for our basic
reference charge (see our web site, www.nebraskahistory.org, for details).
We have extended this research fee to apply to baby-sitting media producers
who want to shoot our materials.  We also charge a "use fee" on top of this
for what they actually use in their finished product, as our use fee is
separate from any costs of duplication (which they're doing by shooting the
materials themselves).  It is also important to note that we will
accommodate media producers in this way AS OUR TIME ALLOWS (sometimes we
just can't afford to be tied up that long) and BY APPOINTMENT.

The above-described arrangement happens most often with locals.  Remote
producers would much rather shoot from a copy that we provide than make the
trip to our facility.

-Paul

Paul J. Eisloeffel
Curator of Audio-Visual Collections