Re: Shelving

Doesn't sound great to me.  I don't know the first thing about engineering,
but I would suggest you get someone in there with experience before you
hazard guesses on what the needs are.

Your people will be walking through those stacks, and your materials will be
sitting on them.  While I'm sure you're just doing it to get a rough idea
before starting the project, your employees' safety should be paramount, and
I'd recommend spending some money to get an expert opinion before guessing
in this case.

If your university has an engineering department, see if you can borrow a
colleague from there to look it over and offer advice.  I've read about too
many shelving collapses to want to do this one casually.

Just my 2 cents, of course.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021