Smoky odors

I've just been asked by one of my customer agencies how to get rid of a
smoky odor in library materials they've acquired.  My gut reaction (since I
don't remember hearing this addressed in my disaster recovery training) is,
"Air them out!"

Other possibilities, from those who may have had to deal with this in the
past?

Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives