From: Bunker, Kevin [mailto:kbunker@SS.CA.GOV]
Sent: 16 August, 2001 10:20 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Wallpaper books

Cynthia:

I would suggest rolling the wallpaper rolls in buffered/clay coated tissue
and storing in a sturdy box built for such purpose -- something such as that
made by Metal Edge or Light Impressions.

The catalogs (yes?) might best be interleaved with sheets of buffered tissue
and stored flat on a shelf. If the pages are loose, a phase box might be the
best.

Most of the historic wallpaper with which I'm loosely familiar was produced
on rather acidic, pulpy paper, and doesn't take traffic or rough handling
well over years. Nevertheless, such materials do have reference value from
the decorative and design and method of manufacture standpoint, especially
if your samples are the only unused survivors.

If the stuff is particularly old, you might wish to contact a
well-recognized historic wallpaper reproduction firm like Bradbury &
Bradbury in Benicia, CA to learn more or perhaps help them in their efforts
to secure lost or *misplaced* patterns.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
CA State Archives