It's not in your printed program, and we wanted you to know...

(Cross-posted to several lists.  The usual apologies.)

                SAA SECURITY ROUNDTABLE MEETING TO FEATURE:

                        "The Tribe of Bland Island"

Gilbert Bland stole hundreds of rare and valuable maps from numerous North
American libraries in the mid-1990's.  But for many of our colleagues, the
impact of Bland's crime spree did not end with the devastation caused by
his mutilation of volumes and theft of maps.  Last year, Random House
published journalist Miles Harvey's book The Island of Lost Maps, an
account of  Bland's depredations and of the author's sometimes fanciful
attempts to penetrate the mind of the thief.  Map curators, special
collections librarians and archivists found themselves quoted and
characterized in this book -- not always sympathetically -- and their
institutions held up to critical scrutiny.

Please join the Society of American Archivists Security Roundtable for a
panel discussion featuring some of these archivists.  The panelists will
discuss the lessons of the Bland thefts and in particular the effect that
the publication of Harvey's book has had in their repositories and their
professional lives.  Participants will include Linda McCurdy of Duke
University, Tim Murray of the University of Delaware, and Elizabeth Schaaf
of the Peabody Institute, the place where Bland's misdeeds were first
detected.

The Security Roundtable will convene on Thursday, August 30, from 5:15 ?
6:45 at the Washington Hilton.  Consult the pocket guide in your
registration packets for the room assignment.  All archivists have much to
learn from the experiences of our speakers.  We look forward to meeting you
there!

Mimi Bowling, The New York Public Library
Linda R. Pine, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Co-chairs, SAA Security Roundtable