Re: Exhibit materials

Suni,

My experience of years past in exhibit design and prep says that you might
want to have selected images of documents (or anything else) plus your text
put together into a pleasing grouping, then have it scanned and converted to
either a silkscreened image on a formica-like panel on plywood, or have a
cibachrome photo print of any exhibit panel assemblages (done by a
professional photo lab) and dry-mounted on "Gatorboard" -- a foam/plastic
lightweight laminate commonlyt used in exhibits.

Either kind of flat exhibit can be hung conventionally by picture
wire/hooks, or via Velcro, screws or other clever means. The Gator foam
approach gives a lightweight (but less durable) product, yet still can be
pleasing to view. The silkscreedned formica panel is very durable but can be
a tad heavier. You can always silkscreen on plexiglas or lightweight metal
panels of one sort or another.

There may be other avenues of approach. It all depends on what types of
materials you wish to exhibit, what kind of display surfaces or cases you
might wish (or be forced) to use, lighting considerations, how long the
displays need to be kept, etc. Do you have an in-houise artist, or would you
have to contract the work out? Lots to consider.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives