Donor files/Object files storage...

We now keep donor files and object files - as well as oral history
transcripts in our vault.  We are fast running out of room and these files
will need to be housed elsewhere.  I have had the suggestion of ordering
fire-proof file cabinets - which are very expensive.  Other options are
"regular" file cabinets and off-site storage (although we use these files
regularly).  The OH transcripts are on disk as well as paper so am not
worried about those.

Anyway - am I being irresponsible by not placing these files in fire-proof
cabinets?  Where do others keep such files?

Thanks very much.

Lisa Moellering
Archives and Research Services
Holocaust Museum Houston