Thanks RE: Real world of way behind archives...

Hi all!

I apologize for this coming so late, but

THANK YOU!!!!

for all the helpful responses I got to my long-winded query. Even the
sympathies that couldn't offer solutions, but were in the same position were
comforting to know others are in the same situation.

To follow up, I have proposed to my immediate boss the idea of doing a
preliminary survey of materials in all the offices & the importance of
having this come from the Board. He agreed, brought the issue up with our
CEO, and reported back to me that the CEO felt it was important. :) (Yeah!)
While this will take a looooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg time in getting an
actual institutional archives set up physically, at least the guy who
matters feels it is important, and it will be brought before the Board.

In the meantime, I have taken in the remaining office files of a position
that was recently eliminated (the bulk of the files were scavanged by the 2
departments this position was in charge of) and have created a detailed
(probably too much so) list of what is in the boxes in case someone should
need to get to the materials. I am hoping this will serve as an example to
other departments and offices that Collections can be entrusted with their
materials & they CAN get back to them. :)

But, back to the main point of this email (sorry about the babbling): Thanks
to all of you who replied to me both on & off list, I was able to state that
this is the norm, and that I do not desire to take over everything overnight
(YIKES!), but rather over a period of time. :)

Thank you, all again!!
Bridgette (soon to be looking for good, concise, cheap, close records mgt.
class) Kelly

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680
BKelly@stanhywet.org   www.stanhywet.org

Mark your calendars! We are preparing for one of the country's best arts and
crafts festivals--The Wonderful World of Ohio Mart, October 4-7, 2001!