Query on Reel-to-Reel life expectancy

Hi Everyone,
I've been asked to forward the following query to
the Listserve. Please reply directly to Thomas at
his email address.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
____________________________________
Subject:
        Request to post to list
   Date:
        Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:19:28 -0400
   From:
        "Wildenberg, Tom" <twildenberg@JWV.org>
     To:
        "'rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu'"
<rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

Not being a member of the SAA, I would like to
post the following question
to the arcvhives list:
Does anyone on the list have experience with the
actual life expanctancy of
reel-to-reel tape recordings. I have such tapes
documenting the paper
transcripts of committee meetings going back to
the late 1950's and early
1960's. My problem is two-fold: 1) I do not have
ready access to a
reel-to-reel tape player to see if the tapes are
still good; and 2) I'm
trying to build a case for their destruction.
In my few material of this nature has little
historical value ( of course
their is always the argument that they add a sense
of tone and emotion).
Nevertheless they will require time to process and
take up additional
space--scarce resources that can be put to better
use.
I would appreciate feed back--both pro and
con--from other members of the
list.
Thomas Wildenberg
Archivist(part time), National Museum of American
Jewish Military History