From:   Jill L Schneider [SMTP:jschnidr@USGS.GOV]
Sent:   Friday, August 24, 2001 2:08 PM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: How the value of this listserve has decreased

I also agree that the discussions of archival issues has declined.   I have
3 main bones of contention with the present system:
(1)  From my own experience, it seems that the private posting of replies
generates only one or two answers, but in the previous public forum, the
first one or two replies would generate additional replies and discussions.
Reply A might be, "this is the way we did it" and Reply B might be, "we did
it a different way", and Reply C might be, "well, we did a little of A and
a little of B, and it worked out great", and Reply D might be, "well, if
you're going to do it that way, these are the pitfalls you have to watch
out for", etc., etc.
(2)  There has been an occasion or two when Reply A or B has been quite off
the mark and Reply C has stepped up to point out the misinformation.  This
CAN'T happen when the replies are privately posted.
(3)  There have been times when as issue was raised in which I had no
current interest but thought, "ah, now that's something to remember!"  Sure
enough, a few months down the road when I need said information, all I have
to do is go to the listserv files or to my archived e-mails of 'good
stuff', and there it is!  This doesn't happen much anymore.

Well, there is my opinion, and, as they say, "worth every penny you paid
for it"  ;->  I would much rather delete an occasional spam or "me, too"
than be missing out on all the great tips and stories that we used to
share.

ttfn - Jill in Alaska.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit