Re: Thanks aka How the value of this listserve has decreased

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:34:36 -0500 Catherine Bruck <bruck@IIT.EDU>
writes:
> I'm chiming in to agree.  The list needs to do more than be a place
> for people to post questions and then, a few days later, to post a
group
> "thank you" note.

Since I'm one of those people who has recently posted a "what to do with"
type question, I'd like to add a bit of input here.

On August 18 I posted a query regarding "Help with talk on preserving
historical photographs."  Today's discussion made me look more closely at
the responses I've received.  Of the total of 16 responses, 9 were auto
replies from people out of office.  And the other 7 all came directly to
my e-mail account, not to the listserv.

These responses contain some interesting insights.  (The bottom line is
that genealogists shouldn't depend on digital imagery for their family
memories, but some worded it much better than I could.  There are several
lines I'll be using in my talk.)

I will do a synopsis to the list in the next few weeks (and will be
thanking respondents directly even sooner).  But the original poster in
this thread was correct, at least in this instance.  Some interesting
information did not make it to the list, and the fact that the messages
came directly to me means that the give and take of e-mail discussion was
lost.

I am _not_ in any way criticizing the people who replied to me directly
-- perhaps they chose to respond to me directly for personal reasons or
perhaps it was the default on their e-mail program.  Either way we (the
listserv members) lost out some possibly interesting e-conversation.

Just my $.02....

AMB

Anne M. Baker, Archivist
Southwest Missouri State University
Duane G. Meyer Library
901 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65804

Phone: (417) 836-4298   FAX: (417) 836-4764
Email: amb767t@smsu.edu (work)
           amb61@juno.com (home)

http://library.smsu.edu/Meyer/SpecColl/spcindex.htm