35mm negatives

Good Day, All!

One of the people represented in our family collection was an avid
photographer who has left quite a number of rolls of 35 mm negatives.  They
are in the original small metal cans and they look to have been untouched,
in some cases, since the mid 1930s.

My question is whether they should continue to be stored as rolls or cut to
be stored flat in negative sleeves.  If they should be cut, should that job
be left to a professional photographic handling house?  The rolls seem to
be in very good condition but with little experience in the care of
negatives I am unsure whether they will retain their condition over the
long term and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the negatives.  I
consider myself lucky that they have made it this far.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Also, to throw in my 2 cents worth, I agree with Nicholas Gilliam that the
loss to the archives list archives of discussions is a drawback to the
reply to the sender function.  So often I refer to it for advice and a
thorough vetting of topics and I fear the loss of such a valuable resource.
 One can always refer to standard written sources for information but often
the everyday experiences of archivists in the field prove more helpful in
real world situations.

Thanks again.

Diane Martz
Heinz Family Archivist