How Public Should Public Records Be? Friday 24 August 2001 http://slashdot.org

How Public Should Public Records Be?
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=20872&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&threshold=-1&mode=nested&commentsort=1&op=Change

[ ...more ]

                    How Public Should Public Records Be?

          Privacy Posted by michael on Friday August 24, @06:12AM
                  from the you-too-can-be-a-stalker dept.
   Hobobo writes: "This article on the New York Times talks about whether
    public records that are available in local government offices should
    or shouldn't be available online. It also talks about the "practical
   obscurity" of people checking files in police offices and whatnot, and
    public records on the internet are "too public," and the privacy and
   freedom of information issues involved." If you'd like to try it, you
                     can use "Giuliani" and "5/28/44".

[ more,,, ]

   Guns (Score:1)
   by electroniceric on Sunday August 26, @03:18AM (#2217718)
   (User #468976 Info)
   Out of mere curiosity I can find out what STD's my neighbor got tested
   for in less than 100 keystrokes.
   Yet we can't manage to do background checks on someone who wants to
   buy a GUN?
   Our country has a lot of great things, but we definitely have some
   priorities out of whack.

[ more... ]
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=20872&cid=0&pid=0&startat=&threshold=-1&mode=nested&commentsort=1&op=Change