Re: How the value of this listserve has decreased

Today is the first chance I've had to use my work e-mail since last Wednesday. Early Thursday morning, a tree fell on electrical and phone wires about a mile down the road from us, leaving us with no Internet connection and almost no phone connection to the outside world (although we did still have electricity). There's a parable in that somewhere....

Jill's Schneider, among others, has eloquently expressed several points that I strongly agree with. One is the fact that having all responses go to the list results in interchange and discussion about answers, plus correction if someone suggests something that is bad policy. Another is that most people's e-mail programs default to "reply to sender;" one has to plan actively to click on whatever to change it to "reply to all." As a matter of fact, when I started writing this post, I forgot to make the change, and had to start over again.

Another point: I haven't looked at the list instructions recently, but I've seen responses from people who had gotten private e-mails in response to a question that show that they don't know that they are supposed to summarize to the list--possibly people who joined the list after the change was made (although by now, I'm sure they understand that they are expected to summarize to the list!--but what about people who join after this?).

Yet again, as I did when the change in reply function was made, I would like to vote in favor of an automatic "reply to all," so that we can have a list that has a lot of useful information, rather than a lot of questions, and a few answers.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive