Re: How the value of this listserve has decreased

I am not very sympathetic to those who whine about the configuration
of the listserv to replies defaulting to the sender. There are several ways
of
resolving this: "reply all" has already been discussed, the original poster
can
summarize responses for the list (understand that some questions generate
few
or even no responses), and you can contact the original poster and ask for
copies of the responses or a summary.

If you cannot take a couple of minutes to send an e-mail or two then I feel
the
question is not really all that important to you.

As for the value of the listserve decreasing, I have been an almost
continual
subscriber since a couple of months after it began many years ago, and I
think
the value (for me at least) has decreased because there are so few
discussions
about the archival issues behind the questions.

This is not to say the list has no value, judging from the messages I think
it
serves a social function (especially valuable for small shops) and can be a
source of information, primarily answers to specific questions. Let us not
underestimate the value of the list as a source for job postings.

The value of the list is not dependent on SAA or how the defaults are set,
like
most anything else in life, it depends on the effort we as subscribers wish
to invest.

Craig Wright
Curator of Manuscripts
Minnesota Hiatorical Society