Re: Acid-free materials sold in stores

I think plastics are much the same as paper - the cheaper versions in local
stores might be okay, but they also might not be.  Joanne mentioned
polyethylene bags in particular.  I would guess that just about any
polyethylene is probably better than vinyl (boy, have I seen some icky vinyl
enclosures lately), but, as with paper products, if we don't know what went
into them when they were made, we can't be sure that unstable additives
weren't used in their manufacture.  "Good" plastics can be made not so good
through the use of unstable plasticizers, coatings, etc.

And unfortunately, most people (myself included) don't know enough about the
different types of additives and their aging properties to make an informed
decision.  Again, I would say that the archival supply companies are safer,
because it's in their best interest to provide us, the archives/preservation
community, with good quality, stable products.  And they're usually open to
questions about their products.

Recently I had several discussions with a local manufacturer about their
plastic sleeves.  Although they said that they had changed from vinyl to
polypropylene (so far, so good) they kept putting me off when I asked them
what exactly was in them, how they were made, and if they had subjected them
to any specific tests for long-term stability.  Several months later I still
don't have any answers, despite repeated promises to send me the
information.  You do have to wonder when they won't answer your questions...

Sandy Hempe
Conservator
Missouri State Archives