Steel mesh shelving

Hello all.

I hope that someone on this list has some experience with this.

I recently had new shelving installed in the archives.  Unfortunately, the shelving was coated with some sort of grease/oil (to protect the shelving while in transport?).  Obviously, my concern is removing all of this coating so that it would not migrate to my boxes when I actually use the shelves.  Any suggestions on solvents to remove the grease and how to remove it would be welcome.

Please respond off the list.

Thanks.

Mae Pan
Archivist