Re: Automating Vertical File Indexes

We use Access as the basis for a searchable database (an index to the
college's Alumni Review) in our archives; after our library systems manager
designed and developed it (with input from me on what we needed it to do),
it was transferred to the web using Cold Fusion 5.  So I enter data through
a password-protected web interface, and users can access the information
through a public web interface.  Here's what the systems manager says about
it:  "We designed our rather simplified system for indexing the Alumni
Review using MS Access, but when it came time to go to production we
transferred the structure to MS SQL.  (We asked our web developers to
"copy" the table definitions from Access to SQL, meaning they defined the
tables and relationships to match and then renamed the data source in the
scripting code without having to rewrite it all. The data was then entered
fresh into the "new" database, but from the user perspective nothing was
different (aside from some bugs/tweaks/etc.)) All of the interfaces are
web-based using Cold Fusion 5, also our campus standard for web
administration. The same project could be done using Linux, Apache, Perl
and/or PHP, and mySql or msql or postgreSql. in an open source
implementation."  So Access does work for the development of a web-based
database, with information available as soon as I enter it.

Katherine Collett
Archives
Burke Library
Hamilton College