Space Still Available for MINERVA conference

Hi All, (especially those of you in Minnesota and the upper Midwest)

Just a reminder that space is still available for the upcoming MINERVA
Symposium on collaborative purchasing and collaborative building of digital
image collections. Information is below.

Sincerely,
Chuck Thomas

>CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT: MINERVA 2001, October 4, Minneapolis
>
>Full Conference Announcement and Registration Available at
>
>http://digital.lib.umn.edu/minerva/
>
>ATTENDANCE IS LIMITED TO FIRST 100 REGISTRANTS!!
>
>Are you thinking of digitizing your slide or photographic collections, or
even purchasing commercial collections of digital images? Visual images are
an important part of the collections of libraries, museums, historical
societies and other education and research centers. Digital technologies
have made images an increasingly necessary and expected part of the
electronic research and public education environment. Building digital
image collections is a priority for many, yet the time, expertise, and
expense required in the process inhibits the many such projects. Commercial
digital image collections also are available, but licensing costs threaten
to make them less than widely accessible, and limit their value in support
of locally-produced digital collections.

>Collection managers and institutions should consider how they might work
collaboratively on projects and collectively purchase products to reduce
stress on budgets, staff, and resources. In an effort to foster cooperative
sharing of ideas and resources among libraries, museums, and other research
centers, the University of Minnesota Libraries, MINITEX and MAGNOLIA are
sponsoring the Minnesota Electronic Resources in the Visual Arts (MINERVA)
2001 Symposium. MINERVA 2001 is open to all interested participants, and
especially those from Minnesota. The Symposium will present a forum in
which to identify partners and potential collaborators in statewide digital
imaging initiatives, and to learn more about tools, models, consortial
agreements and current issues relevant to the owners of image collections.

>MINERVA 2001 will be held in the University of Minnesota Libraries' new
Elmer L. Andersen Library on October 4, 2001. Multiple speakers will
discuss the creation and management of digital image collections, and ways
to maximize investments. Please join us for what promises to be an
informative and stimulating event.

>SPEAKERS
>Liz Bishoff, Colorado Digitization Project
>Managing Large Collaborative Projects
>
>Bill DeJohn, MINITEX Library Information Network
>Consortial Purchasing of Digital Content
>
>Daniel Greenstein, Digital Library Federation
>
>Jason Roy, Minnesota Historical Society
>Building A Visual Resources Database
>
>Charles Thomas, University of Minnesota
>Metadata  for Distributed Digital Images

INTERVIEWER: "Have you made any contributions to culture?"
ELVIS:       "Like income taxes, you mean?"

  --From THE QUOTABLE KING
    (Nashville: Cumberland House, 1997)

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
 - A proverb mentioned by St. Bernard in his SERMO PRIMUS

Charles F. Thomas, Certified Archivist
Digital Projects Coordinator
Elmer L. Andersen Library, Room 6
222 21st Avenue South