Re: On-line auctions

List,

As an archivist want-to-be, I too am interested in this method of deaccessioning
unwanted items.  It seems to me that the unwanted items should first be offered to
the donor/donors if at all possible.  If not possible, selling the items in question
seems to me like a good alternative (I do not know of too many archives that couldn't
use extra funds).

I do have to agree that, although there may be nothing wrong ethically speaking,
selling items on Ebay or other on-line auctions doesn't look good.  This is because, I
believe, of the public's perception of archives and special collections.

Perhaps deaccessioned items should be offered to other depositories/museums who
might be interested in them.

Just my two cents.

On 8 Sep 2001 at 13:25, Abby Lester wrote:

> I think this discussion is very important. I don't think, however, that we
> have hit on the meat of the question yet. What are the ethical
> ramifications surrounding selling deaccessioned items in online auctions?
> What type of image do patrons get when they see a museum or
> archives "selling" their collections? We have discussed this at my
> institution, but the staff has always decided that it wouldn't "look good"
> to patrons for us to sell our collections online. I have not yet made up my
> mind on this subject and would like to encourage further discussion.
>
> Abby Lester
> Archivist and Librarian
> The Jewish Museum of Maryland
> 15 Lloyd Street