Re: On-line auctions

<<It has been the practice of a museum in which I worked to have the donor
sign
"contract" stating that the museum reserves the right to sell the item(s),
in
case they want to deacession the item in the future. This relieves the
museum
 of
legal responsibility and at the same time informs the donor of the
possibility
of their item one day showing up on ebay. The donor can decide at that point
whether to donate or not.>>

I remember signing such a contract, but I would still not wish to see what
were once my personal family items on eBay.  This is just my own reaction,
but I offer it because I suspect other people in the same position share it
(and at the time I made that donation, eBay didn't exist).

Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives