Re: Archives Assistant Job Description

                         ARCHIVES ASSISTANT

                            (part-time)

Responsibilities

To assist Special Collections staff in the maintenance, organization, and promotion of
materials.

Duties

1.   Accession, arrange, describe, and otherwise process collections, as assigned by
     the Head of Archives and Special Collections and/or the Reference Archivist,
     according to local and professional standards.

2.   Research, plan, and execute exhibits and assist in other archival outreach efforts.

3.   Coordinate and assist in collection-specific activities and functions (e.g.
     conferences, dedications, special lectures, etc.).

4.   Serve as a support person for answering Archives and Special Collections
     reference requests. Replies to all requests should be sent within a week of the
     receipt of the request.

5.   Assist in the paging, use, copying (where appropriate), and secure storage of
     unrestricted materials in accordance with the procedures and policies.

6.      Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Special Collections and College
Archivist.

Qualifications:
1. Demonstrated organizational skills.
2. Ability to adapt and an openness to learn.
3. Demonstrated experience with word processing and office software applications.
4. Excellent written/oral communication and interpersonal skills.
5. Physical ability to lift heavy boxes and exhibit props.

> Date:    Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:03:46 -0400
> From:    Ellen Fladger <fladgere@UNION.EDU>
> Subject: Job description for Special Collections/Archives
assistant

> Dear Archives List Members,
>         Although I've been on the job for quite a while (20+ years), I
am
> brand-new listserv member.  If any of you have recently hired
> assistants  for your archives or special collections, would you be
> wiilling to share the job description?  This is a paraprofessional,
not
> professional-level position that I need to fill.  This question has
> probably been discussed here before.  I appreciate your
patience if it
> has.  Replies may be sent either on or off list.
>                 Thanks,
>                 Ellen Fladger
> Ellen H. Fladger                        fladgere@union.edu
> Head of Special Collections             518-388-6616
> Schaffer Library                        518-388-6641 (fax)
> Union College
> Schenectady, NY  12308

David B. Malone
Head, Archives and Special Collections
Buswell Memorial Library
Wheaton College
Wheaton, IL 60187-5593
David.B.Malone@wheaton.edu
630.752.5707             630.752.5855 FAX
630.265.9025 (pager)