On-line auctions. . .

Hi folks:

Now I've opened the box, let me clarify our situation.  I am specifically
concerned with reference books that are out of date/scope.  Certainly, when
we accept "gifts" we inform donors which items might not be a good "fit" for
our institution--a 19th cent. set of Shakespeare!--and I always try to
suggest institutions that might be a better fit.  Often, we are told, do
with *them* as you like.  I really hate the idea that some interesting items
might end up in $10.00 boxes at our local auction house.

Many thanks for all the thoughts on this issue.  I've been collecting them
and shall present them along with my proposal to our Collections Committee.

Cheers,

Cynthia D. Earman
Director of Library Services
Spruance Library