Re: to McClain and Warab was RE: And there's no end in sight

Peter,
Getting back into library talk, we do indeed have a committee here that gets together on a regular basis to examine websites for reference. We take into consideration many factors, some of which I have already mentioned. For websites, I think it is especially important that we can provide our patrons with quality sources, and I distinctly remember a project in library school that involved such a task, preceded by a lecture on what to look for (is it dated? when has it last been updated? is the author a student or a government organization, etc.) At any rate, I hope we can use our skills as intelligent individuals in a much broader framework as well..

"Kurilecz, Peter" wrote:

 Would you two please refrain from posting these inflammatory messages. Obviously you both have very biased viewpoints. If you want to discuss it, then discuss it with each other. Thank you.  Warab wrote:>>As good librarians, the first thing we do when we provide information to our patrons is ask questions about the source---is it bias?  is it taken out of context? is information withheld? <<No! as records managers, archivists and librarians our job IMHO is not to question the source of the information but to provide the information that is requested. If we know of other information that is available we can offer it to the requester. If the patron turns it down so be it.Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc
Midlothian, Virginia
Office: 804-744-1247 x23