Re: Oral History Transcripts

Although the oral history tapes/transcripts I've been working on are
only listed in our in-house finding aids at present, I have followed the
excellent _Oral History Cataloging Manual_ by Marion Matters, published
by SAA in 1995. I quote from the General Rules in her manual:

"In oral history cataloging, the unit of description comprises _all_ the
oral history materials associated with one of the following: an
individual oral history interview (or sequence of interviews with the
same person); an oral history project; a collection of oral history
interviews....Oral history materials consist of the recordings generated
during oral history interviews and associated documents intended for use
in place of the recordings (e.g. transcripts)....Give information about
all oral history materials associated with an interview--that are held
by the repository--in a single description. Do not make separate
descriptions for the recording and for the transcript of a single
interview if both are held by the repository."

This is a collective approach, which seems quite appropriate to archival
materials.

--
Nancy Hadley
Senior Archivist