From: John Foster [mailto:fostj@ILS.UNC.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 12:19 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Old CNN footage?

The more compelling issue here is whether this footage, which has been
trotted out repeatedly in the last few days, is actually representative of
the general feeling among Palestinians. I don't pretend to know the answer,
but given the quality of coverage of this issue in the media that isn't
really surprising. If one took a film crew around to almost any of the
various communities around the world in whose brutaliztion the United States
has participated, one could quite likely find some deranged and misguided
people prepared to celebrate these unconscionable acts. At this most
dangerous of times, it is incumbent upon Americans to turn a critical eye
toward such things. Obviously, this isn't really the place to discuss these
matters, but people in this profession should be prepared to be more
thorough appraisers before purchasing. This applies to information as well
as to artifacts.

John Foster
Fiat justicia, pereat mundus.
fostj@ils.unc.edu

-- Begin original message --

> From: Steve Weiss <smweiss@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
> Date:         Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:00:26 -0400
> Subject:      Re: Old CNN footage?
> To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
> Comments: To: Kristi Warab <kwarab@WHEELOCK.EDU>
>
> CNN has denied this allegation:
>
> http://www.poynter.org/medianews/letters.htm#jordan
>

> >From the above link:
> "Ridiculous tale From EASON JORDAN, Chief News Executive, CNN: The
> suggestion that CNN used 10-year-old images to illustrate Palestinians
> celebrating the terrorist strikes in the U.S. is baseless and
> ridiculous. The videotape was, in fact, shot Tuesday in East Jerusalem
> by a Reuters TV crew and included comments from a Palestinian praising
> Osama Bin Laden, who was
> not a Gulf War player. The more interesting story -- it has the added
> value of being true -- is that Palestinian officials have threatened
> journalists for taking pictures of these Palestinian celebrations. "
>

> --
> Steven M. Weiss
> Head of the Southern Folklife Collection/Media Archivist
> Manuscripts Department
> CB#3926, Wilson Library
> Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890
> Voice:(919)962-1345