Re: Access with mutiple systems

Of course there are other institutions with multiple types of access to their collections!  You are not alone.  Our photographs (heavily used by the public) have three different ways to access them, including PastPerfect.  We just explain the three different ways to our researchers, with a preface that says we've changed as technology has changed, so not everything has been cataloged in the same way over time.  They all seem to be understanding.  Someday maybe the photographs (about 1 million, excluding the 4 million or so negatives that have been sent to us from the local newspaper) will all be in PastPerfect.

Stasia Wolfe

Archivist
Sacramento Archives and Museum Collection Center
551 Sequoia Pacific Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-264-7074

>>> "P. L. Pletcher" <archives@MAHONINGHISTORY.ORG> 09/18/01 11:33AM >>>
Dear Colleagues:

Our archives' holdings are currently served by an old system of filing by
accession number - served primarily through a subject card catalog system,
and by a newer system which relies on Microsoft Access databases to locate
and reference subjects whether they are parts of larger collections, or are
individual items housed by subject category.  We are in the process of
obtaining Past Perfect to handle our museum and archival collections.  It is
our hope that this system will take the place of the other two and make them
obsolete.  My dilemma is how to make finding things easier from the old
systems of cross-referencing while we are in the process of entering data
into the new system?  I have learned my way around the older systems but my
co-workers still find it difficult.  Are we alone in having more than one
system in operation at any one time or are there others who have this
difficulty too?  How have you addressed it?  Thank you.

Pam Pletcher
Archivist
Mahoning Valley Historical Society
archives@mahoninghistory.org