Some thoughts

Dear Collegues...pray your indulgence...I must give expression to some inner
thoughts.

                                9-11-01

        I saw people at the windows,
        Trapped fellow human beings,
        Like prisoners behind bars.

        A woman leaning out,
        Impossible to get to,
        Plaintively waving a white cloth.

        People falling....slow motion,
        But not at all Hollywood-poetic,
        Headed for hard, sharp-edged rubble.

        What were they thinking?
        How could they do that?

        The fragility of the human body;
        In the blink of an eye,
        A life ended, snuffed out.

        Not just a body, but a personality:
        A way of speaking; a way of walking;
        The feel of their arms around you;
        The look in their eyes.

        A cell' phone call to a neighbor:
                "Hi, Jenn. I'm at the World Trade Center.
                 They told us to go up on the roof and wait.
                 I guess a helicopter will come to pick us up.
                 Love you. Tell the kids I love them."

        A prayer please for the families left behind.
        That they be given strength to pass through this time
        and continue their lives along a new path, in memory of those
        who are not around to see them grow and develop.

Gunnar M. Berg, YIVO Institute