Re: Data Loggers

Actually, I'll bet many of us would be interested in the replies to this
question.  Could we reply to the list instead?

It's something I'm dealing with right now at our institution.  We have 3
different types of environmental monitoring equipment:  chart recording
hygrothermographs, ACR TrendReader dataloggers, and the new Preservation
Environment Monitors from the Image Permanence Institute at RIT.  We use
them not only in our institution, but also loan them out to other
institutions around the state.  Our hygrothermographs are probably in dire
need of a tune-up (they're 10 years old) and we're trying to decide if it's
worth the money to get them serviced.  It's pretty expensive.

Most people seem to prefer the electronic variety of environmental
monitoring equipment, but I think there's still a place for the "old"
hygrothermographs in some situations.  Mainly, the information is right
there for all to see, instead of requiring downloading and printing.

One thing I would suggest is that if you go with only dataloggers, you try
for the kind that has a visible display of temperature and relative
humidity.  Comes in very handy.

Thanks,

Sandy Hempe
Conservator