Wages, the eternal lament

> The State Library of Massachusetts is looking for a Librarian I/
> Special Collections Librarian.
>
> Duties include: providing reference service at the public service
> desk
> in Special Collections; performing archival appraisal, arrangement,
> and
> description of manuscript collections; cataloging material in a
> variety
> of formats; assisting in answering reference correspondence;
> providing
> tours of Special Collections; developing library exhibits; and
> supervising interns.
>
> An ALA-accredited MLS with coursework or experience in archival
> management required.
>
> Salary range: $573.61 to $781.61 per week in 12 steps

Which is a starting wage of about $29,800, before taxes, in a city
where a one-bedroom apartment can easily fetch $1000.  And I always
thought the State of Massachusetts was so progressive...

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net