Re: Awkward encounter

Oh, I dunno that you did such a bad job.  We can't always anticipate the way
patrons will approach us, and I don't think we can expect to have the
immediate perfect reaction.

You _do_ have to expect that the signs will do little good - do any of us
always read the signs at an airport, or in a store at the mall?  Chances are
the student in question went past them with the same approach we all give to
white noise - it's just part of his background; he probably never thought
beyond "it's just water", if he even gave it that much notice.

I might have also taken the trouble to explain some basic features of the
archives so he wouldn't feel like you were upset.  You could explain how
rare materials are (generally) only shown to patrons with a real research
need, and that the water can be just as dangerous as a sandwich.  I would
then have gone ahead & shown it to him anyway, under the basic assumption
that you can take an opportunity like this to show someone what an archives
is about.  Every PR opportunity is valuable in its own way, so I say go
ahead if you have the time & the staff to do it.

Security is always a concern, but I assume the thieves of archival materials
generally come in with a better research project than "just looking".

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu