Re: Awkward encounter

>>What should I have said?  Was I being unfair to him?  I tried to be
pleasant
and polite, and I let him use the book, but according to our rules, I should
have said no.  I couldn't do it.  (sigh)<<

ah stuck on the horns of a dilemma.
My first thought would be "How did he know about this book if he is not one
of the Students? Second I would have explained that due to the fragile
nature of the volume, its rarity, etc that the library/archives restricts
access to the book to those who are involved in graduate level research or
who have some other research requirement that necessitates the use of the
volume. Third I would explain that I would gladly show the book to him
however I would be unable to allow him to handle the book.
Fourth I would have explained that we do have a later edition that we can
provide if the patron is interested in reading the material.

Other things to consider
did you ask for photo identification to very the information on the patron's
card?
How did you know that he was not a student? And are non-students allowed
ready access to your materials.

>>There are signs all over the Library saying "No food or drink allowed"<<
Those apply to other folks not this particular individual 8-)

>>He did not fit our normal criteria for use of our controlled-access
collection,
and didn't display what I considered to be sufficient respect for the
materials.<<

But isn't that considered to be 'profiling'? 8-) Seriously you have a right
to be concerned. I would also contact your campus security and make them
aware of the individual.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc