Fw: Scrap Book Preservation Query

Hello Everyone,
I've been asked to forward this query to the list.
Please reply to Tom  at <twildenberg@JWV.org>.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu

This may be a trivial question for those of you
who have processed scrap
books before, but I want to make sure that I'm
doing the right thing.  I
have a scrap book that has been made up using one
of the spiral bound
photographic scrap books having sticky pages
covered in peel-away Mylar.
The items contained in the pages include personal
letters, photographs,
samples of paper currency, and news paper
clippings.  All of the
aforementioned items will make nice additions to
our collection and should,
I believe, be removed from the sticky paper to
prevent further
deteriorization.  Am I correct?

If so is the following procedure the way to go?
Step one would be to
sequencially number and photocopy the original
pages in order to preserve
their provenance.   Step two would be to remove
the individual items so they
can be placed in acid free folders, mylar sleeves,
or polyproylene
envelopes.  Have I missed anything?  This is the
first time have had the
opportunity to do some preservation work on this
form of gendre.

Thanking the list in advance.

Thomas Wildenberg
Consulting Archivist
National Musuem of Jewish American Military
History