Digitization departments

I'd like to get a sense of how many archives have full-time professional
staff who's sole job is MARC cataloging of archival material (what used to
be called MARC:amc), EAD encoding, or both.

And, for those archives with full-time MARC catalogers or EAD encoders, who
do they report to? Are they members of your archives staff, do they work in
your cataloging department, or do they work somewhere else?

I ask because I just saw a proposal to put such people in a "digitization
department." The idea was that MARC:amc, EAD, Dublin Core, and scanning were
all part of the same process, leading to the distribution of digitized
documents on the web, so they should be under the same centralized authority
and report to the same person. Is this kind of organizational structure a
trend?

Lee

Leon C. Miller, Manuscripts Librarian
Special Collections, Jones Hall, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118
Ph: 504-865-5685, Fx: 504-865-5761
Leon.Miller@tulane.edu
http://specialcollections.tulane.edu

NB: Unless specified in the text, there are no attachments to this message.
Any attachments are artifacts of the various routers and servers through
which this message has passed and should be deleted without opening.