Floating Barrel used to establish Louisiana-Mississippi boundary?

Someone on another listserv is looking for the particulars of the story
below,  especially WHEN it happened and WHO did the survey.  I figured you
guys will find the answer long before I can....  ;->   ttfn - Jill

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://alaskaminerals.wr.usgs.gov
----- Forwarded by Jill L Schneider/GD/USGS/DOI on 09/25/2001 03:50 PM
-----

 ... A wooden barrel was set afloat in the mouth of the Pearl
 River, goes the story, and its course carefully tracked by
 surveyors in boats.  The resultant line, which runs almost due east
  from the river mouth, was, and still is, accepted as the official
 border.

    Everything north belongs to Mississippi, and everything
 south, including the fish-rich islands, is the property of
 Louisiana...