Re: Floating Barrel used to establish Louisiana-Mississippi boundary

Oh how I love tought research questions. Here are some links that you may or may not have

U.S. Supreme Court
State of Louisiana v State of Mississippi 202 US 1 (1906)
The state of Louisiana, by leave of court, filed her bill against the state of Mississippi, October 27, 1902, to obtain a decree determining a boundary line between the two states, and requiring the state of Mississippi to recognize and observe the line so determined.
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/getcase/us/202/1.html

MISSISSIPPI, et al., PETITIONERS v. LOUISIANA et al.
No. 91-1158
This action was originally commenced by private plaintiffs suing other private defendants in the District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi to quiet title to certain land riparian to the Mississippi River. The State of Louisiana intervened in the action and filed a third party complaint against the State of Mississippi seeking to determine the boundary between the two States in the vicinity of the disputed land. We hold that 28 U.S.C. § 1251(a), granting to this Court original and exclusive jurisdiction of all controversies between two States, deprived the District Court of jurisdiction of Louisiana's third party complaint against Mississippi.
http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/91-1158.ZO.html

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/121ORIG.ZO.html

http://www.mvd.usace.army.mil/Welcome/WELCOME.htm

Peter Kurilecz