AW: diskette lifespan

Dear list members,

It is not unknown that data can be recovered from a 3.5" floppy disc for as
long as 10 years. It is not, however, safe to assume that this will be the
case when storing important data. Partial or total data loss within a few
hours or days, though uncommon, is not unheard of.

Certainly data of value should never be stored only on floppies. CD-ROMs
have a much longer shelf life. But one is not advised to bet the farm on
them, either.

A data storage media mix is definitely the best recipe. And don't forget to
adhere closely to a data migration plan.

Best regards,
Dr. C.N. Carlson
IWF - Wissen und Medien