       << Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:59:07 -0400
       From: Jim Ford <fordjim@ANDREWS.EDU>
       Subject: Presenting documents on the web

       We are in the infancy stage of a proposed project to provide a wide
       range of historical documents on the web. These would be documents from
       the 1800s primarily so as to avoid copyright issues. Documents could
       include volumes of periodicals, books, etc.

       The question is, how to best present this material on the web? I've
       done some web surfing and failed to find examples of other archives or
       special collection doing such a project.

       PDF seems to be the easiest (which is attractive), and it preserves the
       original appearance of the document. But it is not as easily searched
       as text, plus it takes more space and loads slower for those using
       modems.

       Text is preferred for some of the reasons above, but it takes a lot
more
       time to prepare it.

       We are going into the project with a very limited amount of time
       available to work on this project. Our hope is to get as much material
       available for use with as little cost to us in time. Perhaps this goal
       and limitation should make us step back and wait, but if we wait
nothing
       will happen for a long time.

       Thank you for any comments, suggestions, or URL's to look at.

       Jim Ford
       Curator & Archivist
       Adventist Heritage Center / University Archives
       James White Library
       Andrews University
       Berrien Springs, MI 49104-1400>>