From: "Susan Dehler" <SDEHLER@VIGO.LIB.IN.US>
To: <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 6:17 PM
Subject: Moving an Archives

I need some advice from other professional archivists regarding what
justifies moving an entire Archives.  Here's the hypothetical situation:
The director of a public library wants to renovate the library by replacing
carpeting and retiling floors.  The Archives (which contains original
manuscript collections, photographs, maps, blueprints, oral history tapes,
film, as well as many unprocessed items) was originally not part of the
plan.  But now the director wants the entire Archives temporarily moved so
that the room can be painted and re-tiled.  The room is in good shape and
does not really need these cosmetic changes.  Also, the archivist has only
been given 6 weeks to plan for the move.

This seems an impossible situation and is putting these irreplaceable
materials in harm's way for very little return.  Any advice or horror
stories regarding moving an archives would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Susan Dehler
Archives
Vigo County Public Library