water in keyboards

Several people have responded privately to my post a few days ago
describing finding computer keyboards with water in them that ruined
the keyboards, asking if perhaps we had a ceiling leak. So in case
anyone else was wondering, no, we have suspended ceiilings, so it's
quite easy to tell if there is a leak. The housekeeping crew would
have had no reason to have water in this carpeted area, and besides,
they would have been careful. The five keyboards were scattered
throughout the reference area, and it is pretty clear to us that this
was an act of vandalism.

So, to repeat the point of my story, don't feel bad about asking
patrons to keep their water bottles away from anything that could be
damaged by water.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America