Re: water in keyboards

With all the caveats about not mixing water and electricity, and no
adoption of responsibility on my part for the outcome, you might
consider the following.
In a previous job where I looked after a small VAX system with some dumb
terminals, one of my colleagues tipped a cup of coffee into the
keyboard. She quickly disconnected it, took it to the kitchem and washed
it up thoroughly in a bowl of hot water/washing up liquid to remove any
sign of the coffee. Next day when I came in it was not responding, so I
took it outside and sprayed a good shot of WD40 into it. This, as you
will know if you have used it to start a damp engine, drives water out
and is an electrical insulator. The keyboard worked fine from then on.
This was when keyboards were rather more expensive to replace than they
are now. Please don't electrocute yourselves, or spray any rare
documents next to the keyboard, or blame me if it goes horribly wrong
(or WD40 turns out to be something completely different in the USA like
hair spray) ...

--
# Richard Higgins
# Durham University Library