"Giving proper burial to holy books"

Friends,

Since we face a RAIN-less week (sorry, Peter), I'm moved  to post a url
for this very interesting story in Saturday's NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/29/international/29TUNN.html?searchpv=past7days

The story is about a man in Quetta, Pakistan, who has been rescuing holy
books (so far, only Korans or fragments of Korans, although he says
Bibles and Torahs are also welcome) since 1980.  He found torn pages
on the roadside and in trash heaps, as well as entire copies in
cemeteries.  "This is not good," said Mr. Wali, so he saved them.

After his collection had outgrown his own small house, he sought
the financial backing of several local businessmen.  Now there are
three miles of mountainside underground tunnels, with carpeted floors
and electric lights.  In the tunnel are stored 65,000 bags containing
between three and four million Korans "including loose pages."
More books are arriving regularly by the truckload.

The project also includes two binders who work every day restoring
salvaged damaged Korans to send to religious schools for students who
cannot afford to buy their own.

Nancy Boothe
Rice University